December 27th, 2009
So I’ve been pumping everything I know about 2D platformers into this game engine in my free time. Schoolwork and other distractions conspire against me to delay this effort, so I’ve been doing it for a while. I decided to use Mega Man vs Ghosts ‘n Goblin‘s content to make an incomplete game as a way to find bugs and further understand what the engine needed. Naturally this turned into a complete port.
I graduated from college a few weeks ago, and rather than look for a job like I should be doing, I used the time to finish it up. Since 95% of the work that’s been done also works for it’s prequel, I’m already planning on redoing that one too.
Even though I would normally leave well enough alone I’ve really got a soft spots for these two games, and some things about them really bother me. Namely the numerous framerate shenanigans I pulled in the past have made them inexplicably choppy today. That and I hate the unlockable weapons. A lot.
So, here it is. The new and improved Mega Man vs Ghosts ‘n Goblins. Once I finish the other one I’ll try and spread them out across the Internet. If you find any bugs let me know.
EDIT: Play both games here.